Monday, April 04, 2016

creating with a kid: homemade paint brushes

I love finding projects that Lucy and I can both get excited about. I am finding that the older she gets, the more common creative interests we have! One of my favorite things to do in my own creative process is to make handmade paint brushes. I love using them to paint interesting and expressive marks in the layers of my art. I knew this process would be right up Lucy's alley so recently we spent the afternoon hunting for all kinds of things from the yard that we could transform into our very own unique paint brushes.

Just about anything from nature will work- stems, branches, flowers, grass, etc and dried up paint bushes, sticks and skewers make great handles.


We simply taped our flowers and plants to the end of our handles.

Next we got busy painting! I like using ink with handmade brushes because it really picks up texture and details.

Word of warning this process (whether you are young or old) is SUPER messy but SO MUCH FUN!



My hope in sharing this process with Lucy is that she is able to see creative potential in simple, everyday things!

You can read my entire series of "creating with a kid" posts HERE


12 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

I teach YOUTH ART Classes...We will have to try this one in class!!!
Thanks for your AWESOME creativeness!

Terri Paulson-Sasaki said...

This looks like so much fun, you are so creative. I need to try it with my grandbabes.

Deb said...

Another marvelous idea of finding a use for something already available instead of buying something else. Although I read your posts almost every day, this one really shows how much Lucy has grown. Thanks for sharing -- it certainly makes for a happy Monday!

Jo Murray said...

Lucy's growing up as I watch. Love your brushes, particularly as they sit in the vase with ink accents.

Mary said...

Love this! My high school art teacher had us go outside and find a stick. We then had to sharpen it and use India ink to create lots of contour drawings. I tried it with my young students last fall. It creates beautiful thick and thin organic lines.

cococita said...

I surely see the creative potential of these beautifully shaped brushes and love to observe the 'making off' project in its different stages, from 'hunting' natural treasures to the end product. Yet the only thing that would withhold me as I deeply care about nature and our environment is what you do with the flower leaves and herb(al) branches after you've them. The same counts for stamping with similar tools like e.g. vegetables ... Just thinking about the future of our children and the many waste people produce. Please note, dear Alisa, this is not meant as personal critique, as I know you recycle a lot and are always in favour and stimulating people to use what they have, yet more a question in general that maybe could lead to a post as well ...

cococita said...

*making-of

Unknown said...

Waaooow good idea ...

Alisa Burke said...

thanks so much for the feedback and I am totally with you when it comes to being conscious about how and where to collect from. We actually have a garden where we grow our own flowers, veggies and herbs and a yard with a lot of trees, shrubs and grass. Almost always the things we collect are from our garden and yard and just about all of the time they are things that have fallen to the ground (branches and old leaves) and flowers that are getting ready to die and around here we will harvest seeds from our dead flowers before mixing them into the soil or compost. I completely understand your concern for waste but for me I would rather collect supplies from my yard then be paying for brushes and supplies that are made in factories that also have a negative impact on our environment. More than anything I really want my daughter to appreciate and understand that you don't have to spend money or be a "consumer" of the latest and greatest supplies to be creative or make art. Thanks a bunch for the really compelling comment- I love these kinds of conversations! xo Alisa

AnnaBello said...

Una grande fortuna per Lucy!!!
Complimenti
Anna

AnnaBello said...

Una grande fortuna per Lucy!!!
Complimenti
Anna

cococita said...

Thank you so much, dear Alisa, for having taken the time to answer.
And yes, I totally agree with you and what you say totally resonates with me.
Wishing you a colourful and creative season of spring: thank you for the inspiration well you are!
Over to your most recent course now to indulge myself :)
Warmly
moi x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails